Tuesday 7 December 2010

Industry Exercises-Day 6

Hey guys, this is day six and I have finally begun building my character Billy the Goth in Maya. But first before I explain any further I just want to get something off my chest... I HATE MAYA! I generally hate Maya, it is so complicated and everything, that I don't think I'll ever get the hang of it, even though I've been trying for the last five years now, but what is good about it is that I have help now from my friends and two of my friends have been great help in helping me set this up and they are two members of my Digital Environments project, James Waters and Perri Wheeler, guys if you're reading this I just wanna say thank you so much for helping me out with this. Anyway so what we've done so far is what you'll see in the images down below;

Photobucket

First of all we placed the design of Billy the Goth, into Maya. By doing this, James helped me import a polygon plane and rotated 90 degrees on the X axis and translated back on the Y axis. We then together created a lambert shade in hyper shade which we then assigned to the front image of Billy. We then applied that texture to the polygon plane.

We then duplicated the polygon plane which I rotated on y axis at 90 degrees and translated back on the x axis. For those of you who don't know much about Maya, the y axis is one of the tools you work with in Maya to help animate the character as well as the x axis.

Photobucket

To make the body, Perri and I started with one cube and it was a polygon cube. The next step was to extrude the cube to become two cubes. Then we extruded out until we filled the body space. After this we extruded an arm and a leg.

Photobucket

To make the foot, we had to split the polygon to get a smaller polygon. We then extruded the foot but not too widely and we ended up making a really nice looking shoe.

Photobucket

Now the hand, we created a slightly smaller polygon face to make the wrist. We then extruded out from it and widened the face as we went along to give the impression of a wider hand.

So that's it so far, most of the stuff I just wrote, I had James and Perri to help me out with that, but at list it will come in handy for when I need to Maya again in the future and I have all this written information up on here and I can look at it to give me a hand when I need to do it on my own. Take care and I shall get back to all of you when I have done more.

No comments:

Post a Comment